In the production of military and law enforcement firearms and particularly in the processing of parts for service handguns, adequately finishing the slide of the pistol is a common and frustrating challenge. The component’s configuration presents numerous nooks, crannies and hard-to-reach angles that obstruct a sufficient post-machining polishing process on the shop floor. More often than not, sharp burrs are left behind that expose employees to risky cuts and scratches when handling these delicate components.
A GUYSON Wet Blast System can blast, rinse and dry these parts using multiple chambers to meet and exceed process requirements. Because the slurry solution can give complete coverage it can clean and deburr in one step. Also if the pressure is reduced in the blast chamber Guyson WBS systems can duplicate a secondary lapping process that leaves an ultra-smooth and cosmetically superior finish.
Benefits for the firearms manufacturing industry
- Near or complete elimination of embedded abrasive media and related voids in the slide reduces injuries in the manufacturing process.
- Ability to etch, rinse and dry surfaces in a non-chemical, water-based, closed-loop system in one integrated, multiple-step work cell — right on the production floor.
- Dust-free, wet-slurry process allows for location of work cell in close proximity to sensitive production areas and increases workflow in manufacturing environments.
- Less production floor space needed due to the elimination of dust collectors.
- High percentage of water in the slurry dissipates heat.
- Improved controls over wet blasting and the immediate lapping of the surface with the same media leads to greater reduction in component Ra values.
- Precise and repeatable delivery of Wet Blasting slurry gets into previously inaccessible places, for a uniform finish.
- Stringent manufacturing standards and low maintenance.
- Easy operational requirements of systems speed ROI and reduce TCO.